Thursday, October 06, 2011

Benefits of the Library


The library is such a wonderful learning environment to be in. I remember when I learned to read, I enjoyed going to the little library in my school. There was such a different variety of books to read. The room was colorful, and the shelves were filled. The room was so inviting. After a while, I grew older and could no longer use our little library.

As you got older, your reading level increased so the books became too babyish for us. We now used the classroom library to read. Now that I am no longer in public school, I go to the  public library. I enjoy all the different varieties of things I can do.

Libraries are filled with all sorts of books. There are so many different genres of books to choose from. Since not all books are godly, we can not read them all. I have found a solution for this problem. All you have to do is ask your librarian if any library has the specific book or movie you want and if so, you can have that book ordered and brought to your library for pick up. I actually prefer going to the catalog online, and ordering them there. Since I live in New York I log on to NYPL put my account information and it works.  However, I do not know if all states allow this.

Most libraries have computers. All the computers in my library are free to use. That means you are allowed about 45 minuets or more each day free internet access. Parents save about 45 minutes of not paying Con Edison for the electricity:). 

If you are a child you are permitted 5 free prints. You are allowed to print whatever you want, up to five times, free! That saves money on ink. Many times when looking up information for a report we print out unnecessary information and later throw it out. All that paper and ink are a waste of money. Technically, you do not waste the ink when you use it in the library since it's not yours.  You should still be a good steward though.

I do not usually read the newspaper, but if you want your copy, you can get it free in the library. They are many different varieties of newspapers not just one. The way I look at it is why pay for something when you can get it for free? 

Most libraries offer many free classes and programs. My grandma once attended an English class. My little cousin participates in the Toddler Time program on Tuesdays. There are computer classes, book clubs, and even a teen lounge.

Summer days are very hot. Since the libraries are open to the public, they have to have air conditioners and fans. If you spend a couple of hours in the library, you can save again on your bills by not turning on your air conditioner!

As you can see there are many benefits in visiting your library. I encourage you to visit your local library and use its wonderful resources. Do not forget to bring your library card.  In order to take advantage of most (not all) resources, you may need a library card.  If you do not have one, you can apply for one for free.

1 comment:

  1. I am so thankful that we have the library so close to us.
    Geni is really getting the hang of toddler time and is enjoying the time spent there.

    ReplyDelete

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer."
(Psalm 19:14)