Monday, December 17, 2012

A Prayer For a People: Connecticut Shooting


Friday, December 14, 2012 was a day of immense saddness. A gunman entered Sandy Hook Elementary in Newton, Connecticut and killed 20 children and 6 women. As I look at the photos of the children, it brings tears to my eyes. I see blue eyes, blonde hair, red hair, freckles, dimples, baby teeth, curly hair, and just pure sweet innocence. I think why? Why those children? Those same thoughts must plague the parents of the deceased children. We may never know God's reason for our why's, but He is in control. He is sovereign.

I pray that the parents of the children and relatives of the other victims may feel comforted. No words of consolation can help. Financial support, casseroles, and time can't help. If it isn't the Lord working in their hearts, those who remain are lost. I pray that they may feel nearer to the Lord now than ever before. Their children are in the arms of Jesus. They are safe in His arms, without sorrows or worries. I pray that the surviving family memebers may open their hearts to Jesus and receive His comfort and love. 

I pray for the Lanza family. May you comfort them as they grieve over their son/brother and mother. May they be able to forgive and not feel responsible. I pray for protection over their lives. May no one try to get revenge and hurt them for something they were not responsible for. May they be able to eventually heal from this pain.

I pray for the children who witnessed these horrific events. May you cleanse their minds and restore to them their innocence. I also pray for the teachers, police officers, and EMT's to erase from their minds the horrific post factor to the massacre. I pray that through this they may draw near to you. 

I pray that all who were involved directly and indirectly for emotional, mental, spiritual and physical healing. 


Isaiah 41:10 fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Psalms 55:22 Cast your burden on the LORD, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.

Psalms 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

1 comment:

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer."
(Psalm 19:14)