Saturday, November 03, 2012

So Sandy!


I begun this blog Sept. 01 not long before hurricane Irene came. Then I was thankful to the Lord for keeping my family and friends safe. Now about a year later, hurricane Sandy was announced to hit NYC. Though I thought it was going to be a strong storm, I did not think it was going to cause so much damage. The storm really started on Monday for us, with strong wind gusts and rain. My family was all gathered in the living room, doing different things, and unexpectedly we'd hear the strong winds beating and shaking the windows. We would just look at each other with wide eyes. As I write this, the storm no longer rages, but its effects are keenly felt.

Though we live in NYC our area was unaffected, besides this tree that fell in our courtyard. Many of our congregation, including our church is located in Far Rockaway, which was flooded, more than 50 houses burned down, and the electricity went down. Many of our brothers and sisters are without light, but are safe. One sister mentioned that her house was two steps from getting flooded. What you don't understand, is that she has at least 10 to 15 steps before you enter her house! Through all the devistation God is still faithful! 

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Psalm 46:1-3
The storm is over and the damage is great around the city. The death toll has reached 41 in NYC, subways were flooded, and the city is without gas. I pray that the Lord may continue to glorify himself throughout this time of need.





No comments:

Post a Comment

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer."
(Psalm 19:14)