Saturday, August 25, 2012

First Wild Card Tour- Book Review


My Review:

High Desert Haven begins with a desperate family on the brink of loosing everything. Nicki will do anything to help her family, which includes marrying a complete stranger. The author documents Nicki's life from the moment John Trent bought her, and her move from California to Oregon. Through the hard years that follow Nicki constantly prays Psalm 23 to help her get through the dry spells in life. 


As the story progressed, other second characters, and families were added. At first I had trouble connecting their role and presence in the story line, but towards the end they played a big part into the story, adding much suspension and completeness to the story. The author did a good job communicating the passing emotions between the many characters. Though there were a couple of families and people that made up the book, she seasonly added there occurrences throughout, without taking from the main character Nicki and hero Jason. 


Villains there were, and although you knew who they were, the book was still very suspenseful. All the characters were very close together and close to ones heart, all except the villains, of course. I very much enjoyed the sprinkling of spanish words throughout the book, it added some flavor to this well seasoned book.

The writing was easy to read, and set at a nice pace. The characters were well relatable. The plot intriguing, the romance sweet, but the ending seemed lacking. When I reached the last page I was hoping for an epilogue of some sorts, but none was given. There was a big surprise in the book that made me wonder how married life would be for the two characters. I guess I'll have to read the conclusion to this series to tie up all loose ends for me. I give High Desert Haven a 5 out of 5.

***Special thanks to Lynnette Bonner for sending me a review copy.***

No comments:

Post a Comment

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer."
(Psalm 19:14)